Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Weight-Loss Debate: Addressing the Foolery

From XOXO Skorch

As most of you know, when I started this blog, I made a commitment for it to be fashion and ONLY fashion based, I saw many fa[t]shion blogs that addressed other issues such as discrimination in the media, current events, etc etc. So since all of those aspects were already being covered so well, I sort of wanted to step out of those realms and make this a place where you read primarily about fashion...tips and tricks of the trade, styling suggestions, the latest trends, "How to" guides and so on. But sometimes an issue pops up and you feel obligated to step out of your zone, go back on your word and address the issue head on. Now, I know that some of you probably don't know this, but recently I've been battling with a dreaded case of "writers' block", but yesterday's events have sparked my literary juices and have forced me to crawl out from under my rock of unproductivity.

If you're unaware of the situation, here's a little background to help you catch up...

Yesterday, Marcy Guevara, Editor-at-Large and host of The Marcy Minute for xoxoskorch posted a video "coming clean" about her efforts to get healthier. Standing in front of a Weight Watchers storefront, Marcy dished about:

Being "on the fence" in regards to body image and how some of us really feel about our size.
Her desire to shop at certain stores that don't carry her current size and getting back into her favorite pair of jeans.
Jennifer Hudson being her inspiration and motivation for shedding a few pounds.
The reasons why she chose Weight Watchers for her weight loss endeavor.
And the battle to maintain a healthy lifestyle as a curvy girl.


All great points, right?

Well apparently quite a few viewers became a bit "up in arms" over the video, which has lead to a weight-loss "backlash" of sorts. And it has sparked a frenzy of comments, tweets, reposts, and discussions on the matter. Now while I can understand the confusion in a "plus-sized" magazine promoting weight-loss, what I don't understand is the negative feedback in regards to the issue of health. And while xoxoskorch has ALWAYS promoted healthy body image and the importance of embracing oneself, I don't think that they have ever claimed to endorse an unhealthy lifestyle.

I mean let's face reality here for a moment. While we strive to embrace our curves, being overweight and obese leaves many of us susceptible to diseses such as Hypertension, Diabetes, Heart Failure, Arthritis, certain types of Cancer, and the list goes on! So what is the harm in trying to get healthy to sustain longevity? Or to just feel a little better in your own skin by shedding a few pounds?





I make no apologies in saying that while I love and embrace my curves, I always strive to live a healthier lifestyle and if I can drop one or two dress sizes in the process, then so be it! Now, just like Marcy said, I will NEVER be a size 6 or even an 8, but that isn't even my goal. My goal is to be a heathier me! Through my Facebook page, I have made my own personal fitness journey public knowledge. I talk about my love affair with the yoga ball and my tumultuous relationship with carbs. I even discuss my unhealthy eating relapses and when I've gained back a pound or two (or three...eek!). Does that make me wrong or less credible in the fa[t]shion community? Am I to be deemed traitorous?

Bottom line...weight-loss is a matter of personal decision. If you are comfortable with where you are and you are healthy and feeling fantastic, then more power to you! Now while you may not agree with Marcy's personal decision to get healthy by losing weight or utilizing the powers that are Weight Watchers, the fact of the matter is that it is just that....a personal decision. One of which she decided to share with those of us who can relate to her pursuit, and was not intended as any sort of personal "dig" at anyone else or even to promote weight-loss. Let's also not forget that being healthy has absolutely NOTHING TO DO WITH THE NUMBERS ON THE SCALE OR THE SIZE ON YOUR TAG, and everything to do with your ACTIVITY and OUTLOOK. So to Marcy I say...GO GET 'EM GIRL, YOU'VE GOT OUR SUPPORT! :)



Until Next Time F5's and Skorch dolls....

Stay D'lish

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe Now: text

Related Posts with Thumbnails